Cheadle Hulme


Church Road
Cheadle Hulme
Tel: 0161 485 3455

Email our Vicar: Rev Sarah Hancock


Consecrated in 1863, All Saints is the original parish church of Cheadle Hulme, a suburban area 10 miles south of Manchester and 3 mile south-west of the centre of Stockport. It is now one of three Anglican churches in Cheadle Hulme, the others being St Andrews and Emmanuel. The church is located just off the A5149 approximately half a mile south of the centre of Cheadle Hulme on the corner of Church Road and Hill Top Avenue.

When first built, the church had no side aisles, and the nave was just 51 feet long by 25 feet wide, with a small additional area with pews at the south-east corner (later to become the Lady Chapel in 1963). Unusual for the time, there were no pew rents: the seating in the nave was freely open to all worshippers. There was no stained glass in the nave. At the south-west corner of the church was a 65 ft oak-shingled spire which blew down in a severe gale in December 1894 and was never replaced. In 1865, on the second anniversary of the consecration, the first stone was laid for a parsonage on a site immediately to the east of the church and separated from it by the churchyard. The house was demolished and replaced by the present vicarage in 1991. 
In 1874 the north aisle was added to accommodate pupils from the Warehousemen and Clerks’ Orphan School (now Cheadle Hulme School) off Hulme Hall Road, as the school’s rules required the pupils to worship each Sunday at the parish church. At the same time the organ chamber was doubled in size by incorporating the original vestry, and a new vestry was built on the side of the organ chamber (a Faculty for a new organ was granted in 1893, and W.E.Sugden was appointed organist, a position he held until 1956). The first parish magazine was published in 1894. Just before the turn of the century the nave was extended westwards to its present length and the south aisle was added. The font was moved from its central position at the west end (to which it has now returned) to a position by a new porch in the south-west corner. Other additions and alterations at that time included the insertion of a reredos behind the altar, new oak altar and communion rails, the lectern and the removal of the pews from the south-east corner. 
In 1910 the Parish Room opened opposite the church on Church Road and was extended two years later to form the present All Saints’ Parish Rooms. In 1924 the main hall of the Parish Rooms was named “The Tyson Hall” in memory of the Rev Henry Tyson, the church’s longest-serving vicar (1898-1924), and in the same year new choir stalls were also dedicated to his memory. 
All Saints’ Church Hall on the corner of Church Road and Hill Top Avenue was opened in 1973 following the demolition of the old All Saints’ National School which the church had bought back from the diocese. The Church Hall itself was pulled down thirty years later when the church sold the site to a developer.

Stained glass windows

The stained glass windows in the church are all memorials to people connected to the church from the latter part of the 19th to the early 20th century. The beautiful Victorian window at the far end of the chancel, depicting the birth, crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus, was dedicated in 1873, ten years after the building of the church, “In memory of Rev. C. J. Cummings MA, Rector of Cheadle and Founder of this Church” (Charles James Cummings had also previously founded St Matthew’s Church Edgeley). The dedication is obscured by the reredos, which together with the oak communion rails and altar was given in memory of John Robert Galloway, churchwarden 1887-89, by his friends. On the right-hand side of the chancel are two smaller Victorian memorials showing scenes from the Gospels, one in memory of John Rooke Corbett (1869) and the other dedicated to the memory of Robert Gray (1879).
The window at the centre of the west end of the church is in memory of Richard Brown who had been churchwarden (1873-75) and treasurer of the National School on Church Road which opened in 1873. The text at the top of the window reads: “Glory to God in the Highest and on earth peace, good will toward men. Alleluia. Alleluia. The word was made flesh and dwelt among us and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.” To the left is a window showing Saint George and Saint Michael, slayers of dragons, in memory of Captain Alexander Baird Tyson of the 2nd Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders who was killed in action aged 21 on April 23rd 1917 at Fontaine les Croisilles. Capt Tyson was the second son of the Rev Henry Tyson, Vicar of the parish from 1898 to 1924, and Mrs E.S. Tyson. In the right-hand corner is a window “In memory of Thomas Brideoake Knott MRCS & LSA d 31 July 1911 and his wife Jane d 6 July 1914”. Dr Knott presented the eagle lectern to the church in 1899. 
The window in the south aisle, depicting David and Jonathan, is in memory of G.F. Emil Ost of Holmfield Cheadle Hulme, who died on January 14th 1920. Both these later windows were created by artist H. Gustave Hiller of Liverpool. No stained glass has been added since then. 

Into the twenty-first century
Major building work was carried out in 2003 involving the addition of a new vestry, meeting room, kitchen, flower room, toilets and a ramped access. At the same time the interior of the church was reordered, including the removal of the pews in the north aisle and at the west end of the church as well as all but one of the choir stalls, the installation of an electronic organ, the provision of a new communion rail to facilitate the celebration of the Eucharist in a more central position, and the re-positioning of the font at the centre of the west end. 
With up-to-date facilities and the provision of more space inside the church, All Saints is now more able to meet the needs of the worshipping congregation and the wider community in the twenty-first century. We can offer the church as a venue for concerts by visiting choirs and orchestras, and the meeting room for use by both church and outside groups and organisations.

Powered by Church Edit